First public undertaking:
The association was created in December 2007 (registration at the prefecture of Paris). See ASSOPH's newsletter n°1..
The first actions of ASSOPH consist in :
– gathering extensive information about the history of the murder and the subsequent police and judicial undertaking in Ireland and France. A comprehensive summary (103 pages), sent to the highest authorities of the State in France and Ireland, was prepared by Marie-Victoire Louis during the winter of 2008: “The murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier, born Sophie Bouniol: eleven years of flaws and denials of justice” L’assassinat de Sophie Toscan du Plantier, née Sophie Bouniol : onze ans de manquements et de dénis de justice
– becoming known by mobilizing the press and by publishing numerous newspaper articles, by opening the website: https://www.assoph.org/ http://www.assoph.org/ accessible dans le monde entier,
– participating in broadcast by the main French and Irish media about the case: TF1, FR2, FR3, Itele, BFM TV, RTE, Europe 1, RTL etc,
– setting long term links with Irish and French institutions and influancial actors(senator, journalists, association, French Embassy in Dublin, Ministry of Justice). Constant contacts with prominent journalists allowed to move forward efficiently,
– challenging the Irish and French authorities at the highest level to bring the case to a successful conclusion,
– to pressure the Irish authorities to have access to the investigation file and ultimately obtain all relevant official documents,
– to support Sophie's family in their fight for truth and justice (counselled by sollicitors Spilliaert and Dupond-Moretti, support in procedures and visits to Ireland, translations, joint work, etc.).
June 2008: Order for the exhumation of Sophie's body issued by the investigating judge Gachon, in charge of the case since 2007 ( after four previous investigate judges ).
Exceptional procedure of July 1, 2008: Exhumation of the victim's body.
July 2008: The DPP announces its decision not to prosecute Ian Bailey, as the case stands. The Garda announces its decision to transfer the file to the French Justice. ASSOPH and Sophie's parents are filing a complaint for witness subornation following Marie Farrell's retraction.
December 2008: Judge Gachon receives the criminal file from the Irish police.
Letters to members during this period: